Friday, November 6, 2009

Liz Hutchinson-Sperry Chair and Statement

Artist's Statement

Liz Hutchinson-Sperry

I've been a creative person all my life. My art career began when a next-door neighbor invited me to attend her art classes. Painting and drawing became natural very quickly. The experience has been a pleasure for me and for others. Paintings often take on a "life" of their own and transport the artist as well as the viewer to wonderful places of imagination and truth..

Favorite art materials include paint (of all kinds), brushes, papers and canvas as well as stained glass. Designing and painting historic murals on public walls is a wonderful way to make a statement. The differences between paint, glass and stucco are many but the considerations come from the same creative source coupled with a basic understanding of line, value and color.

It has turned out well for me. There are few of us who are able to do that which we love to do and at the same time support ourselves with that effort. A great creative day is like no other. The joy of creating is its own reward. Come see the world through my eyes.

Biography

Liz Hutchinson-Sperry

I am the owner and primary instructor at Red Hat Studio, 311 Taylor Street in Punta Gorda's historic district. The studio offers fine art instruction at all levels. Prior to opening Red Hat Studio, my background as an art instructor include Florida Southern College, the Sarasota Fine Arts Society, the Lee County Alliance of Arts and the Charlotte County Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda.

I hold a BS Degree from the College of William and Mary as well as selected classes in Fine Art at Ringling School of Art and Design and Columbus College of Art and Design.

I have served on numerous boards within the community. These include the PG Historic Mural Society (Founding Board), PG Business and Community Alliance (President in 1997), Board and Building Committee Member and Exhibitions Chair for the CC Visual Arts Center in Punta Gorda.

My artwork has received numerous awards and is held in many private and public collections throughout the country including Johns Hopkins Hospital and Proctor and Gamble. I was selected for the 1995 Class of Leadership Charlotte. In June, 2009, I received the Charlotte County "Charlie Award" for Lifetime Contribution to the Arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment